Professional School Counselor
To provide a safe and positive learning environment for students to achieve academic success. Students will be encouraged to demonstrate respect, accountability, and exhibit good citizenship qualities. A nurturing environment creates a productive, successful and safe school community.
The counseling department here at Leesylvania believes in providing a nurturing, safe and fair school environment for all students. We believe in helping students understand the importance of having strong competencies in the academic, career, personal and social areas of their lives. We also believe that all students deserve a world class education.
Beliefs and Philosophy Statement
The professional school counselors serving Leesylvania Elementary School believe:
- All students can achieve and deserve equitable access to resources and a rigorous curriculum.
- The dignity, culture, and social/emotional needs of every student is to be respected and valued.
- The school counselors will use data to continuously improve the school counseling program and to deliver services.
- The school counselors will plan and manage a comprehensive counseling program.
- The school counselors will advocate for the entire community of learners.
- The school counselors will collaborate with families, staff, and community resources to address student developmental needs, primary prevention, and continuous student achievement.
- The Leesylvania Counseling Advisory Committee (school counselors in collaboration with staff, families, and students) will annually audit and evaluate the counseling program (using the ASCA Program Audit), in order to provide quality service.
- The school counselors will abide by ASCA’s professional school counseling standards and ethics.
PBS Parents: This site is brought to you by the Public Broadcasting System,
and has some great parenting information.
Parenting.org: This site has some parenting information according to your
child's stage of development.
You Can Handle Them All: This is a comprehensive discipline website for
parents. It lists tons of behaviors, the possible causes, and some actions
you can take.
Test Taking Tips: This site helps parents prepare their children for tests.
Character Counts!: This site is dedicated to character education. Find out
about the six pillars of character, and what you can do to strengthen
character in your child.
Netsmartz: This site includes a program used by Prince William County
police officers. Their computer safety component of the BE AWARE program
teaches elementary school students important lessons about internet use.